Passively Detect Alcohol using your flashlight.
The Alcohol Sniffing High Intensity Flashlight for Patrol Officers
PAS IV PassiveAlcohol Sensor "The Alcohol Sniffer"
- Disguised as just a flashlight
- Detects alcohol as you request for identification
- Will even detect open alcohol containers
- Lightweight, rechargeable and very easy to use
||Says "Flashlight has a nose for drunken drivers"
Users: Traffic Police Officers, University Police Officers, Drinking Prevention Programs, Industrial Safety Zones.
Click here to download brochure.
PAS IV Product Description
The PAS IV Passive Alcohol Sensor is the First Step to Effective DWI/DUI & Zero Tolerance Enforcement in any industry! Traffic Police, Oil & Gas, Chemical, Alcohol Prevention Programs. Specifically configured for USA, Africa, Asia, Europe & South America.
Features and Benefits
- Memory Free” NiMH Power Pack
- Positive Feedback Switch System
- Brighter Flashlight-Super Beam
- Lighter Weight
- Shorter in Length
- “Fast Charge” AC/DC Charger System
- All Surface Mount Electronics
- Auto or Manual Sensor Reset
- Positive Feedback Switch System
- Microprocessor Controlled
- 240V to 120V Dropdown Power Converter Europe and Africa
- Safe, One-Hand Operation - Keeps other hand free
- P.A.S. “Sniffer” helps operator formulate probable cause without subject’s involvement.
- With the P.A.S. “Sniffer” it takes less time to check alcohol level than to check driver's license!
- No expensive mouthpieces required.
"Sniffs" Both Breath and Open Containers
- Ideal for Zero Alcohol Tolerance Enforcement
- Improve Sobriety Checkpoint Statistics
- P.A.S. “Sniffer” can detect alcohol in enclosed spaces such as vehicles, lockers, and rooms.
- P.A.S. “Sniffer” can detect alcohol in liquids/beverages.
- P.A.S. “Sniffer” can also be used to determine the role of alcohol in emergency management of unconscious individuals.
- True “Passive” Alcohol Sensor – responds even when subjects refuse breath tests.
It is a proven fact student drinking remains a major issue for officials "on-campus" and off. For teens in particular, it is a destructive or deadly game. Our low-cost, "user-friendly" and "subject friendly" Passive Alcohol Sensor is used effectively in schools to "sniff" breath alcohol, beverages/open containers or enclosed spaces (lockers, vehicles, etc.) for the presence of alcohol.
The Passive Alcohol Sensor has been a great deterrent for keeping students from drinking alcohol. Many school officials report that the mere presence of the P.A.S. IV has helped keep alcohol use at school down.
- Product Name - P.A.S. IV (“sniffer”) Alcohol Screening System
- Function - Combines police-grade flashlight with sampling device for detecting low levels of airborne alcohol in exhaled breath, in vehicles and other enclosed spaces, or over beverage containers.
- Flashlight - Pre-focused lamp module provides more than 20 Mean Spherical Candelas (MSCD) and in excess of 50,000 candlepower.
Alcohol Sensor Electrochemical (platinum) fuel cell generates an electrical current in response to alcohol vapor. The microcontroller will automatically turn the sensor off after about 45 seconds, should you forget to turn off the sensor.
- Cell Heater Built-in heater regulates fuel cell temperature at 104 F (40 C) whenever flashlight is on.
- Calibration Performed at the factory. Calibration checks are recommended every six (6) months or more frequently if the unit appears to be losing sensitivity.
- Specificity Fuel cell detects only alcohol. It is unaffected by acetone, paint and glue fumes, foods, confectionery, methane, and practically any other substance likely to be found in the breath.
- Air Sample Pump runs for 5 sec’s and draws in a 1 cu. in. (15ml) air sample (nominal figures).
- Display Color-coded 9-element LED bar-graph displays alcohol level.
Peak Reading 5-10 sec's at 104 F (40 C); longer at lower temperatures unless fuel cell heater on.
- Recovery Time 30 seconds - 2 minutes after a positive reading; longer if fuel cell overloaded or heater off.
- Power Supply Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) rechargeable battery (no memory). Charger operable from 12-volt DC or 110-240 volt AC power depending on you country power ratings.
- Battery Capacity 1.6 amp hrs; good for 45 minutes of continuous use. Store unit in recharger to keep fully charged between use (no memory).
- Charging Time Approx. 3 hr's for fully discharged batteries using the AC/DC Fast Charger Cradle Unit.
- Environmental Operating temperature range 0 to 104 F (-18 to +40 C). The P.A.S. IV housing is weather resistant.
- Dimensions 12" (300mm) long x 1.5" (38mm) diameter, increasing to 2.2" (56mm) at head.
- Weight 1.5 lb. (0.68kg) with battery pack
- Accessories Various accessories and spare parts are also available:
- PAS AC/DC Charger Cradle (Rack)
- Auto/DC Adapters (12 volt cigarette lighter adapters)
- Wall Transformer for PAS IV Charger
- NiMH Rechargeable Power Pack
- Carrying Case
- Super Beam Lamp Module
- Calibration assembly including: Wet bath simulator w/Cal-Pump
The P.A.S. IV Alcohol Screening System combines: a) high-intensity, super-beam flashlight technology with b) a dynamic sampling system and c) a miniature alcohol sensor. It “sniffs” ambient air, the breath, open containers, or enclosed spaces for the presence of alcohol. The P.A.S. functions as a non-intrusive “extension of the operator’s nose.
The P.A.S. is a hand-held, rapid alcohol detection instrument using a platinum electrochemical fuel cell sensor of high alcohol specificity, accuracy and stability. Designed for law enforcement, industry, corrections, transportation agencies, and educational facilities. The operator-controlled sampling system guarantees accurate detection of alcohol, and is especially suited for quick subsequent measurements.
The P.A.S. is used to check alcohol presence/absence with or without a subject’s direct participation. When used without the subject’s direct participation it is known as passive sampling, as opposed to active testing where the subject blows directly into a mouthpiece or the intake port. The P.A.S. can also be used to detect open containers of alcoholic beverages, or to detect low, ambient levels of alcohol in enclosed spaces such as vehicles, jail cells, or classrooms.
The alcohol concentration is quickly and accurately measured by a heated proprietary platinum electrochemical fuel cell. The benefits are high analytical alcohol specificity, short analysis time, long working life, and minimal recalibration requirements. Only true alcohol content is recorded even when exposed to other interfering breath substances, e.g. ketones (acetone) and hydrocarbons.
The operator controls the entire alcohol sampling and monitors all instrument functions to prevent false measurements. After analysis, the result is displayed on a color-coded bar graph, each segment corresponding to an alcohol level of 0.01% BrAC. Tests can be repeated within seconds if no alcohol is present, and at intervals of less than 1 minute at high alcohol readings.
Simple Operating Procedure
The P.A.S. automatically "draws in" a precise volume of air or breath during sampling procedure to ensure that an adequate sample has been provided. The operator controls the sampling. When the P.A.S. is used to sample breath at about 15-20 cm (6-8 inches) in front of the subject's mouth, alcohol detection is highly reliable. The P.A.S., unlike other hand-held breath test devices, collects its sample from in front of the subject's face, in the same way as a police officer may smell a suspect's breath. Therefore it is not a "test", nor does it constitute a "search". Accordingly, there should be no question of a trespass or intrusion into the privacy of the subject.
Power for the P.A.S. is provided by a rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride battery (no memory). Charger is operable from a 12-volt DC or 110-volt AC power. For countries using 240V AC power, the PAS unit comes with a power converter.
P.A.S. System and Warranty
The P.A.S. is available in a convenient, protective case containing everything you need to perform, log, and document the test:
P.A.S. Sensor with NiMH battery and PAS AC/DC Charger with AC wall adapter and auto charger adapter, Instruction Manual, and full one year warranty. The proprietary platinum electrochemical fuel cell carries a full two-year warranty.
Sensitivity Check and Warranty
Our Quality Assurance Plan calls for a sensitivity check to be performed once every month (minimum) and full calibration once every six (6) months (minimum) or if a sensitivity check shows the unit out of calibration.
Manufactured in the USA
- In Law Enforcement
- Underage Drinking Prevention Programs
The P.A.S. IV Passive Alcohol Sensor is used to check alcohol presence/absence with or without a subject’s direct participation. When used without the subject’s direct participation it is known as passive sampling, as opposed to direct testing where the subject blows directly into a mouthpiece or the intake port.
The P.A.S. IV Passive Alcohol Sensor samples exhaled air from in front of the face of an individual. A simple press of the sensor button activates the proprietary sample pump and draws the sample into the electrochemical fuel cell sensor alerting the operator to the presence and approximate concentration of alcohol (BrAC%). Holding the sensor up to ten (10) inches from the suspected alcohol source is all that is needed to determine if alcohol is present. This pump design also allows the sensor to check for alcohol in open containers (drinks) or enclosed spaces (automobiles, jail cells, rooms, etc.). The alcohol level is shown in a few seconds after sampling on a color-coded display.
In law enforcement the P.A.S. Sensor (nicknamed the “sniffer”) is frequently used at sobriety checkpoints, saturation patrols, or during routine traffic stops to alert the officer to the presence of alcohol. The "sniffer" sampling system is also ideal to monitor and measure the presence of alcohol over open containers (drinks), enclosed spaces, or for zero tolerance enforcement of underage drivers. The "stealth" design of the P.A.S. IV often alerts the officer to the presence of alcohol before the subject is even aware a sample has been taken and analyzed. This type of sampling is not a violation of the individual's rights as such "sniffing" is protected by multiple legal doctrines. For example, the "plain sight doctrine," which is a legal doctrine that allows the officer when legally in a position, to use his or her senses to observe a violation of the law, thereby aiding the officer to establish "probable cause" for making the arrest. Passive alcohol sampling is consistent with this legal doctrine.
What is saved by using passive alcohol testing?
The P.A.S. IV combines a high-intensity flashlight with a micro-miniature alcohol detector. This unique design allows the officer to control the flashlight and alcohol sensor with one hand, leaving the other completely free. It will provide as much light as the typical flashlight used by patrol officers at night and since most DUI/DWI’s occur during nighttime hours when officers routinely carry flashlights, this design is a great convenience. The officer can approach the vehicle in the normal way, using the flashlight to illuminate the area, and when desired, activate the pump for sampling.
According to studies conducted by the National Highway Traffic Association and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety officers using P.A.S. Sensors at sobriety checkpoints increase their effectiveness by 15 to 25 percent in detecting legally impaired (0.08 gm% or 0.10 gms%) drivers. In zero tolerance enforcement, the sensors can be even more effective by enhancing the officers' subjective senses of smell, visual and hearing to evaluate more accurately for the presence of alcohol.
Savings of billions of dollars every year and countless numbers of lives is possible with stronger and more rigorous enforcement of drinking and driving laws. NHTSA estimates that direct costs of alcohol-related crashes exceeded $46 billion in 1994. An additional $90 plus billion is lost in quality of life due to these crashes. These high-tech tools which quickly "sniff" out alcohol to one-hundredth of one percent are proving how technology can help combat DUI/DWI, enforce zero tolerance, and save lives and money.
Please contact Droplex Industrial Systems for assistance with ordering the P.A.S Alcohol sensor products.